Union County Divorce Lawyer

Whether you are looking to file for divorce with a divorce attorney or you have been served with divorce papers, you might be asking yourself questions about your future. Perhaps you feel worried, fearful, or even relieved. If you have children with your spouse, you might wonder how they’ll cope with co-parenting and how the divorce will impact them. Telling your friends and family can be very difficult, and vocalizing the event can make the divorce feel real and present. Ideally, you will have friends and family who support you through the process. No matter where you are or how you feel, know that your feelings are shared by many people who are already divorced or are currently going through a divorce. Get in touch with our experienced family law and divorce attorneys at Joslyn Law Firm near you. 

Hiring A Divorce Lawyer Near You In Union County, Ohio

Like many journeys in life, knowing how to start your divorce is often the hardest part. If you plan to start a divorce or it has already started, the assistance of a family law and divorce lawyer can greatly improve your case’s outcome, reduce your stress level, and help you feel better about your future plans. 

At Joslyn Law Firm, our clients come to us from all walks of life. Some divorces have many disputed issues and require significant court intervention. Other divorces are relatively cordial and can settle with minimal or no court intervention. Either way, our experienced legal team to divorce attorneys in our office is prepared to help you throughout your divorce. Our experienced attorneys can help you address any issue that comes from your divorce, including: Divorce Lawyers in Union County

Our attorneys focus on family law and divorce, and we have successfully represented clients through all of the above-listed issues. Because family law, including divorce, is a specialized area of the law, hiring a divorce attorney with experience can make a huge difference in all aspects of your case. Divorce proceedings are subject to the same state laws, but each of Ohio’s 88 counties has a unique way of conducting rules and procedures. At Joslyn Law Firm, our attorneys have represented many clients in Union County, so we have the knowledge and experience necessary to help you navigate the local rules and procedures

When you start your search for an attorney, it is necessary to know that reputation matters. The firm and attorney you choose to work with can greatly impact the quality of work performed. Additionally, your attorney’s ability to communicate effectively with the particular presiding judge can greatly impact your case’s outcome. Over the years, Joslyn Law Firm has built an incomparable reputation in numerous Ohio state courts and was recognized for client satisfaction, an award that few law firms can receive. Brian Joslyn, managing attorney at Joslyn Law Firm and member of the Union County Chamber of Commerce, is one that many other attorneys recognize. As a recipient of Best Attorney by Rue Ratings and a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers Association, Brian Joslyn has become a well-respected member of the legal community. Our clients can expect to receive extraordinary service and to work with lawyers who have graduated at the top of their college and law school classes. 

When you are ready to meet with a family law divorce attorney at our award-winning Union County law firm, call our office at (614) 420-2424 or contact us online.

Information Center

  1. Hiring A Divorce Lawyer Near You In Union County, Ohio
  2. Family Law and Divorce Lawyers Near You Can Help In Multiple Ways
  3. Emergency Relief
  4. Temporary Relief
  5. Post-Decree Disputes
  6. Residency Requirements For Divorce In Union County
  7. Court Hearings And COVID-19 Precautions
  8. Schedule Your Free Consultation With A Union County Divorce Attorney

Family Law and Divorce Lawyers Near You Can Help In Multiple Ways

Clients come to our office with unique circumstances. Some clients are at the beginning stages of divorce, some are looking for a new divorce attorney, and others have visited us after trying to represent themselves. In some instances, clients are experiencing a high-conflict divorce. When this happens, they might need support before their final divorce decree, including emergency or temporary relief. In other instances, clients are already divorced but hope to modify their divorce decree through a post-decree motion. Regardless of the circumstances, our experienced legal team of divorce attorneys at Joslyn Law Firm is ready to be your advocate. 

Emergency Relief

During a divorce proceeding, spouses might not have the ability to wait for relief and the final outcome of the divorce decree. Especially in high-conflict cases, a spouse might need immediate relief. Domestic violence, custody, and parenting time are common reasons why one spouse might request emergency relief. Specifically, a spouse who has experienced acts of domestic violence or has received a threat of violence from the other spouse could request protection from the court. Another common situation arises when one spouse suspects the other struggles with substance abuse. To prevent harm to children, a petitioning spouse might ask the court to suspend the other spouse’s parenting time. Typically, relief limits or prohibits the respondent, or the opposing party, from contacting the petitioning spouse. If there are children involved, relief can prevent parenting time in the short term or temporarily give custody to the petitioning parent. 

Under usual circumstances, a judicial officer presides over a hearing where both parties have the opportunity to present their arguments. Both parties receive time prior to the hearing to review the other spouse’s arguments and prepare their own arguments and evidence. In an emergency or “ex parte” case, the petitioning spouse can request relief from the court without the other spouse having an opportunity to attend a hearing or respond. A judicial officer can review the petitioner’s arguments and relief requested on the petition alone and then issue an order granting or denying the relief in an ex parte order. If the petition is granted, the relief in the ex parte order lasts until the judicial officer can hold a hearing and fully address the allegations. 

At this hearing, the respondent, or the person responding to the petition’s allegations, can present arguments and evidence and fully explain his or her side of the story. After both spouses have presented their arguments, the judicial officer will issue an order granting the petition to extend the relief. However, if the petitioner does not provide evidence that supports the petition, the petition can be denied, and the emergency relief immediately ends. 

Petitions for emergency relief should not be taken lightly. Emergency relief requires proof that immediate harm is likely to occur if the petition is not granted. If you are the respondent and the petition is granted at the hearing, the court order against you can severely impact your ability to secure housing or a job. If you hope to file a petition for relief or you were served a document requesting your appearance at a hearing, a qualified family law attorney can help you build your best case. 

Temporary Relief

The need for temporary relief is highly dependent on the facts of a divorce case. Temporary orders can be issued during the normal course of a divorce proceeding. Spouses can even submit a temporary agreement to the court outlining all issues pertaining to the specific divorce, such as:

  • Spousal support (alimony);
  • Custody and parenting time;
  • Child support;
  • Use of marital property; and 
  • Restraints to selling marital property. 

In other situations, spouses are at odds and cannot agree on anything before the judicial officer issues a final divorce decree. When there is no agreement, either spouse can file a motion for temporary relief and ask the court to prevent specific behavior or request that both spouses participate in a temporary arrangement. For example, you and your spouse might disagree on the use of the family home during the divorce, or you might disagree on the parenting time schedule. Motions for temporary relief can allow both parties to present arguments and explain why the judge should issue an order in their favor.   

Post-Decree Disputes

For many spouses, the divorce decree marks the end of their relationship and avoids any future interactions. In other situations, spouses continue to dispute issues well beyond the date of their divorce decree. When this occurs, future disputes revolve around an issue decided in the divorce decree. In “post-decree” disputes, ex-spouses can request that a judicial officer modify or enforce the divorce decree. These disputes can address:

Either ex-spouse can file a motion to modify any of the above-listed issues. For example, perhaps the divorce decree requires one spouse to pay the mortgage on the family home for a period of time. If the spouse fails to pay the mortgage, the other ex-spouse could file a motion to enforce the divorce decree. Another common example includes the modification of spousal support payments. Suppose an ex-spouse ordered to pay spousal support loses a job or learns that the other spouse now has greater financial resources. Depending on the circumstances, the ex-spouse could file a motion and request that the payments terminate or decrease in amount. No matter which post-decree issue you want to address, all require different types of proof and written arguments that support why the motion should or should not be granted. 

Post-decree motions require a strong understanding of the law and of local court rules and procedures. Joslyn Law Firm has extensive experience filing post-decree motions and can provide you with the legal expertise needed to develop a successful case. If you want to modify your divorce decree or want to have the court enforce it as written, please call a Joslyn Law Firm divorce and family law lawyer at (614) 420-2424 or contact us online.

Residency Requirements For Divorce In Union County

Divorce in Union CountyIf you are thinking about divorcing your spouse, you are likely thinking of your finances, your children, and other long-term outcomes. While these aspects are extremely important, an overlooked part of divorce includes Ohio residency requirements. These requirements are put in place to ensure that an Ohio court has jurisdiction to hear and decide matters pertaining to your divorce.

Although some states have very relaxed residency requirements, Ohio requires that the petitioner, or the person filing a case, has lived within the state of Ohio for a minimum of six months before filing. If you meet that requirement and want to file in Union County, you must live in any of the townships in Union County. If you and your spouse have separated and you recently moved to Ohio, you can consult an attorney to learn where you need to file. 

Although the person filing for divorce is required to meet the residency requirements, respondents do not. If you have recently been served divorce papers or expect to be served, you can live in any county in Ohio for any amount of time, or you can live out of state. However, you will still need to work with a qualified divorce attorney licensed in Ohio.  

Court Hearings And COVID-19 Precautions

Union County divorce proceedings are heard at the Court of Common Pleas, located at

215 West Fifth St.

Marysville, OH 43040

The Court of Common Pleas has several divisions, including general, probate, juvenile, and domestic relations. Divorce and family law cases are heard in the domestic relations division. 

All counties in Ohio have some discretion to determine their own COVID-19 protocols. As of June 1, 2020, the Union County Court of Common Pleas resumed in-person hearings. It is still possible, though, that some conferences will be held remotely. Your attorney can discuss with you the details regarding the location of your specific hearings and conferences. For more information on Union County’s COVID-19 policies, visit the Court’s Order Ending Judicial Emergency and Temporary Order In Response To The COVID-19 Public Health Crisis

Schedule Your Free Consultation With A Union County Divorce Attorney

Your divorce decree will have long-term impacts on your life. If you have children, your divorce decree will impact where and how they live and the monthly amount of financial support they can receive.   Your family law and divorce attorneys at Joslyn Law Firm are ready to review your case and support you during this change in your life. To schedule your free consultation, call a Joslyn Law Firm family law attorney at (614) 420-2424 or contact us online.

Call us for a free consultation

Reviews of a Union County Family Lawyer

Read this 5-star Google review below!

“Very kind and caring attorneys and staff. Would refer to anyone in need of a family law attorney.”

By: Abby F.
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!

Request Free Consultation »

(614) 420-2424
  1. Menu
  2. Our Firm

  3. Practices
  4. Contact
Joslyn Law Firm